India  
NewsR.in
> >

New Facebook Bug Alert - Millions of Photos Breached

One News Page Staff Saturday, 15 December 2018
New Facebook Bug Alert - Millions of Photos Breachedby 👩‍💻 Stephanie Boyd

It really hasn’t been a great year for Facebook, despite the fact that the social network has continued to maintain a general popularity with millions of people worldwide. Mark Zuckerberg’s firm fell under particular scrutiny earlier in 2018 as it emerged that Facebook had shared a number of personal details with political consultancy Cambridge Analytica against public knowledge. Since then, the firm has also come under fire for a number of potential problems, as well as the fact that many shareholders remain unhappy with the fact that Zuckerberg retains a joint role of CEO and Chairman in the company.

This week, however, the firm’s name has hit the headlines once again as a result of a bug which appears to have private exposed photos of up to 6.8 million different users on the network. Having recently hosted a privacy event in New York, Facebook has announced to the world that a software bug may have allowed said pictures, including those which may not have been posted by users affected. It is the latest in a line of breaches at Facebook, in a year where the inner workings of the social network have been probed into more than ever before.

Up to 1500 different third-party apps, according to the firm, are reported to have been potentially hit by a security bug which may have let its developers have access to millions of different private photos. These apps will have been given access to photos posted across the network, such as through Marketplace, Stories, and elsewhere on the site. As mentioned, even those photos uploaded but not yet posted may also have been intercepted.

Facebook Photo Bug May Have Affected 6.8M Users
Facebook Photo Bug May Have Affected 6.8M Users [video]

Facebook has vowed to notify and work with those users who may be affected by the breach. “When someone gives a permission for an app to access their photos on Facebook, we usually only grant the app access to photos people share on their timeline,” an official blog statement read. “In this case, the bug potentially gave developers access to other photos.”

The network will reportedly also be working with said developers potentially affected by the bug in an effort to remove photos from those users who are also impacted. As a result, it appears ownership is being exercised here – but will it be enough to appease those who have already taken a dim view of Facebook’s workings this year?

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 
Credit: NowThis News - Published < > Embed
News video: Facebook Bug Caused Users' Private Photos To Be Uploaded Without Permission

▶ Facebook Bug Caused Users' Private Photos To Be Uploaded Without Permission 01:29

A Facebook bug affecting millions of users allowed apps to access private photos, even if they weren't uploaded. This video, "Facebook Bug Caused Users' Private Photos To Be Uploaded Without Permission", first appeared on nowthisnews.com.

You Might Like


Recent related videos from verified sources

Red Table Talk Gets Nominated For An Emmy [Video]Red Table Talk Gets Nominated For An Emmy

A major win for this cast.

Credit: Celebrity Wire     Duration: 00:54Published

Will Smith Completes Challenge On His Bucket List [Video]Will Smith Completes Challenge On His Bucket List

Will Smith accomplishes great things on his new show.

Credit: Celebrity Wire     Duration: 01:14Published

Facebook Can't Find The Local News It Needs [Video]Facebook Can't Find The Local News It Needs

Facebook's latest work could be a bust.

Credit: Celebrity Wire     Duration: 01:35Published

Mark Zuckerberg Has A New Vision For Privacy And Facebook [Video]Mark Zuckerberg Has A New Vision For Privacy And Facebook

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg wants to protect people's privacy by encrypting Facebook messages. Business Insider reveals the move could come at a cost to safety on his platform. Experts say the shift..

Credit: Wochit News     Duration: 00:32Published


Recent related news from verified sources

Facebook says it removed 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mosque attack

Facebook Inc said it removed 1.5 million videos globally of the New Zealand mosque attack in the first 24 hours after the attack.
Reuters India Also reported by •BGR India

Other recent news in Internet

Drunken online shopping is big BUSINESS — especially for AmazonPatriots and NFL players post heartfelt tributes to retiring legend ROB GRONKOWSKI
'Us' stars LUPITA NYONG'o and Winston Duke put their horror movie knowledge to the test
•More original news reports from newsR
Environmentally friendly: newsR is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 newsR Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest