India  
NewsR.in
> > >

New Zealand starts to bury mosque attack victims

Video Credit: Reuters Studio - Duration: 02:34s - Published < > Embed
New Zealand starts to bury mosque attack victims

New Zealand starts to bury mosque attack victims

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Saturday promised to reform the country’s gun laws, a day after at least one gunman attacked worshippers in two mosques, killing 49 and wounding 42 others.

Jane Lanhee Lee reports.

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 

New Zealand starts to bury mosque attack victims

New Zealand began burying its dead a day after at least one gunman attacked worshippers in two mosques in the city of Christchurch-killing 49 people and injuring over 40 others.

The shooter broadcast footage of the attack on Facebook which was quickly shared by users on other social media platforms. He also posted a manifesto online denouncing immigrants and calling them quote "invaders".

Three people have been arrested, including one man, an Australian in his late 20s, charged with murder.

He appeared at court on Saturday (March 16).

SOUNDBITE: NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER, JACINDA ARDERN, saying: "None of those apprehended had a criminal history either here or in Australia and as I said last night, they were not on any watch list either here or in Australia.

(FLASH) Given global indicators around far right extremism, our intelligence community has been stepping up their investigations in this area." New Zealand's prime minister added that the gunman had a license for the weapons and had five guns including two semi automatic riffles, and called for a change in gun laws in her country.

The victims hailed from India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Egypt, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Turkey.

Leaders around the world expressed sorrow and disgust at the attacks, with some deploring the demonization of Muslims. Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan said in a social media post: "I blame these increasing terror attacks on the current Islamophobia post-9/11." U.S. President Donald Trump, condemned the quote "horrible massacre".

The gunman's manifesto posted online praised Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".

WHILE Trump said he had not seen the manifesto...he did add- that he does not see white nationalism as a rising threat around the world.

SOUNDBITE: U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP, Saying: "I think it's a small group of people who have very very serious problems. I guess if you look at what happened in New Zealand perhaps that the case, I don't know enough about it yet." Meanwhile, the broadcasting of the shooting on social media raised calls for more regulations on tech giants.

Hours after the attack, copies of the video were still available on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, as well as Facebook's Instagram and WhatsApp.

Democratic U.S. Senators Cory Booker and Mark Warner, criticized the companies as being too slow in taking down the post.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube all said they were taking action to remove the videos.



Recent related news from verified sources

Erdogan urges justice for New Zealand mosque attack victims

[Turkey], Mar 16 (ANI): Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday urged New Zealand to bring...
Sify - Published Also reported by •NewsyReuters IndiaeuronewsNews24FXstreet.comBangkok PostSeattle TimesSBSReuters


New Zealand terror attack on two mosques: What we know so far

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed 40 people died in the shooting and around 20 have...
IndiaTimes - Published


You Might Like


Tweets about this


Recent related videos from verified sources

Christchurch Workers, Students Return After New Zealand Mosque Shootings [Video]Christchurch Workers, Students Return After New Zealand Mosque Shootings

According to Reuters, New Zealand police promised a high-profile presence, as schools and businesses in Christchurch reopened on Monday after a gunman killed 50 people at two mosques in the city last..

Credit: Wochit     Duration: 00:37Published

New Zealand's prime minister promising stricter gun control after attacks [Video]New Zealand's prime minister promising stricter gun control after attacks

New Zealand&apos;s prime minister is calling for stricter gun control after the deadly mosque attacks killed 50 people.

Credit: Rumble     Duration: 01:58Published

Man Who Chased Down Christchurch Gunman Hailed As A Hero [Video]Man Who Chased Down Christchurch Gunman Hailed As A Hero

Abdul Aziz, a 48-year-old Afghan refugee, chased the Christchurch gunman out of the Linwood Islamic Centre in New Zealand on Friday after the attacker opened fire. Aziz, who was with his family, chased..

Credit: Wochit News     Duration: 01:10Published

New Zealand PM Vows To Change Gun Laws After Deadly Mosque Shootings [Video]New Zealand PM Vows To Change Gun Laws After Deadly Mosque Shootings

New Zealand PM Vows To Change Gun Laws After Deadly Mosque Shootings

Credit: CBS 11 Dallas     Duration: 01:52Published

Environmentally friendly: newsR is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 newsR Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest