Meghan could face father in court over publication of letter
A British newspaper which is being sued by Meghan, Britain's Duchess of Sussex, will use evidence from her father Thomas Markle, in a court battle over its publication of a private letter from the royal to him, it has said in legal documents.
2020 is already proving to be a dramatic year for the Duchess of Sussex and it could get even more so, as Meghan could face her her father Thomas Markle in court.
Last October, Meghan began legal action against the Mail on Sunday tabloid.
Her lawyers described the publication of a letter to her father as part of a quote, "campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband." In a statement at the time, husband Prince Harry called the coverage of his wife by the British press "bullying.'' The Daily Mail reported on Wednesday (January 15) that Markle was prepared to testify against his daughter.
A spokeswoman for Harry and Meghan was not immediately available for comment.
The legal drama comes after Queen Elizabeth reluctantly agreed on Monday (January 13) to Harry and Meghan's request to step back from their senior royal roles, allowing them to split their time between Canada and Britain and become financially independent.
Meghan is currently in Canada with the couple's baby son Archie.
Meghan Markle reveals that she suffered a miscarriage this past summer, ViacomCBS cancels 'One Day at a Time' and Jimmy Kimmel takes shots at Donald Trump and Randy Quaid. Here are today's (11/25) stories.
Credit: The Hollywood Reporter Duration: 03:26Published
The Duchess of Sussex will ask a judge to postpone the trial of her privacyaction against the publisher of the Mail On Sunday, which was due to start inJanuary. Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd over an article publishedin August 2018 which reproduced parts of the handwritten letter sent to herfather, Thomas Markle.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:32Published
The latest hearing in the Duchess of Sussex’s High Court privacy actionagainst the Mail On Sunday over the publication of a letter to her estrangedfather has begun following technical difficulties. Mr Justice Warby told thecourt that, earlier on Thursday morning, he had conducted a private hearingfrom which the press and public were excluded. The judge said he hadconsidered an application by Meghan’s lawyers to adjourn the trial of her caseagainst Associated Newspapers from January until “much later next year”. Headded that the “primary basis” for the adjournment was “a confidentialground”. Granting the application to adjourn the trial, Mr Justice Warby said:“The right decision in all the circumstances is to grant the application toadjourn. “That means that the trial date of January 11 2021 will be vacatedand the trial will be refixed for a new date in the autumn.”
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:40Published
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have marked their 73rd wedding anniversary byreleasing a photograph showing them opening a card from the Duke and Duchessof Cambridge’s children. The colourful homemade gift was created by PrinceGeorge, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, and is emblazoned with the number73 which pops out from the front of the card.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:46Published
Celebrity photographer Rankin is known for iconic images featuring supermodels, music, and film stars and even Britain's Queen Elizabeth but for his latest exhibition he has chosen a topic that seems tailor-made for a world in the midst of a pandemic - death. Francis Maguire reports.
The Queen has been seen in a face covering for the first time as she visitedWestminster Abbey to mark the 100th anniversary of the grave of the UnknownWarrior. The royal family has sported an assortment of face coverings duringthe pandemic – from the Duchess of Cornwall’s trendy leopard print mask to theDuchess of Cambridge’s in classic floral Liberty fabrics.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:11Published