India  

Education Department Now Excluding Some Borrowers From Student Debt Relief

Video Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories - Duration: 01:30s - Published
Education Department Now Excluding Some Borrowers From Student Debt Relief

Education Department Now Excluding Some Borrowers From Student Debt Relief

Education Department , Now Excluding Some Borrowers , From Student Debt Relief.

The United States Department of Education has released new guidelines that prevent certain federal student loan borrowers from qualifying for the student loan forgiveness program.

NBC reports that the update to the Education Department's guidance for one-time student debt relief is a complete reversal of previous guidelines.

Previously, the department said that borrowers whose loans were not held by the Department of Education could consolidate their debt into Direct Loans in order to qualify.

According to an administration official, the number of borrowers affected by this decision is about 770,000.

In August, President Joe Biden announced a sweeping student loan forgiveness program that included up to $10,000 for federal student loan borrowers.

There are an estimated 5 million "overlooked borrowers" with commercially-held Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFEL) loans who have been excluded from debt forgiveness.

Those with FFEL loans were also excluded from the federal student loan payment pause that was in effect throughout the COVID pandemic.

On September 29, news of the policy change was met with fierce criticism from borrowers and student loan experts on social media.

According to the Department of Education's website, work is under way to determine if an alternative pathway to debt relief can be found for those with FFEL Program loans


You Might Like


💡 newsR Knowledge: Other News Mentions

Joe Biden Joe Biden President of the United States since 2021

Stars and Scars -- You Be the Judge

Justin Timberlake certainly got unwanted publicity this week with his DWI arrest, and the first debate looms between Biden and Trump. So we gotta ask ...
TMZ.com

Chris Cuomo Says if Biden Flubs Debate with Trump He Could Withdraw

Chris Cuomo isn't a fan of Presidential debates, dismissing them as pageantry -- but he says that's not the case with the face-off next week between Joe Biden..
TMZ.com
Russia-U.S Full Scale War Over Ukraine: Zelesnky To Attack Putin's Army Inside Russian Territory [Video]

Russia-U.S Full Scale War Over Ukraine: Zelesnky To Attack Putin's Army Inside Russian Territory

The U.S. has expanded permission for Ukraine to use American-made weapons against targets in Russia, not limited to the Kharkiv region. This doesn't represent a policy change, as Biden previously allowed strikes near the border. However, long-range attacks deep into Russia remain prohibited. U.S. officials confirm this aligns with National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's statement about Ukraine's right to defend against cross-border attacks. #US #Kharkiv #Ukrainewar #RussiaUkrainewar #JoeBiden #VolodymyrZelensky #RussiaWarlive #Ukrainelive #Warnews #Worldnews #Oneindia #Oneindianews ~HT.178~PR.152~GR.121~ED.194~

Credit: Oneindia    Duration: 03:47Published
Trump Outraises Biden Again to Overcome President’s Financial Edge [Video]

Trump Outraises Biden Again to Overcome President’s Financial Edge

Trump Outraises Biden Again , to Overcome President’s Financial Edge. In May, former President Trump raised more campaign money than Biden for the second consecutive month, CNN reports. . Trump's recent conviction in the Stormy Daniels hush money case reportedly spawned an influx of donations. . Trump's recent conviction in the Stormy Daniels hush money case reportedly spawned an influx of donations. . As a result, Biden's May haul of $85 million was no match for Trump's $141 million. . As a result, Biden's May haul of $85 million was no match for Trump's $141 million. . On June 20, Biden's campaign said that the president's committees entered this month with a $212 million cash supply. That total does not include over $30 million that Democrats collected at a star-studded event over the weekend, CNN reports. . Trump's campaign has yet to disclose its stockpile for all committees. . While Trump appears to currently have a significant financial edge, Biden's team continues to tout its campaign infrastructure. . While Trump appears to currently have a significant financial edge, Biden's team continues to tout its campaign infrastructure. . Our strong and consistent fundraising program grew by millions of people in May, a clear sign of strong and growing enthusiasm for the president and vice president every single month. , Julie Chavez Rodriguez, Biden campaign manager, via statement. The money we continue to raise matters, and it’s helping the campaign build out an operation that invests in reaching and winning the voters who will decide this election, Julie Chavez Rodriguez, Biden campaign manager, via statement

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:30Published

Trump raised £44m more than Biden in May - and he's now turning to crypto

Donald Trump's presidential campaign raised substantially more money than Joe Biden's last month, new figures show.
Sky News

NBC NBC American broadcast television network

Supreme Court Rejects Challenge to Tax Law on Foreign Investments [Video]

Supreme Court Rejects Challenge to Tax Law on Foreign Investments

Supreme Court Rejects , Challenge to Tax Law on, Foreign Investments. On June 20, the Supreme Court upheld a tax on foreign corporate investments enacted by a Republican-controlled Congress under former President Donald Trump. On June 20, the Supreme Court upheld a tax on foreign corporate investments enacted by a Republican-controlled Congress under former President Donald Trump. NBC reports that the case had attracted scrutiny when conservative Justice Samuel Alito refused to recuse himself despite ties with one of the challenging lawyers. The case revolved around whether an individual can be forced to pay taxes on investments in foreign-owned companies regardless of if they were a source of income. The case revolved around whether an individual can be forced to pay taxes on investments in foreign-owned companies regardless of if they were a source of income. According to the 16th Amendment of the Constitution, Congress has the power to "collect taxes on incomes.". In the case, Charles and Kathleen Moore claim they were unfairly taxed on their $40,000 investment in an India-based company called KisanKraft Machine Tools. . While the company made a profit, the Moores claim that they received no dividends and that the money was reinvested in the business. As a result, the Moores did not pay taxes between 2006 and 2017 on what the U.S. government later defined as income from their investment. . Due to a provision that was part of a major tax law enacted by former President Donald Trump in 2017, the Moores paid $15,000 in additional taxes. They later sought a refund for that payment, arguing that they had been unlawfully taxed based on an increase in the value of a capital investment not qualifying as income. The couple's challenge was rejected by the Supreme Court 7-2

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:30Published
Surgeon General Wants Social Media to Include Warning of Mental Health Risks [Video]

Surgeon General Wants Social Media to Include Warning of Mental Health Risks

Surgeon General Wants, Social Media to Include , Warning of Mental Health Risks. On June 17, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy called on Congress to require social media platforms to give users a tobacco-style warning. . On June 17, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy called on Congress to require social media platforms to give users a tobacco-style warning. . NBC reports that Murthy warned that the mental health crisis among young Americans has become an urgent problem, citing social media as "an important contributor.". NBC reports that Murthy warned that the mental health crisis among young Americans has become an urgent problem, citing social media as "an important contributor.". According to Murthy, the warning would include language that alerts users to potential mental health harms associated with using social media. A surgeon general’s warning label, which requires congressional action, would regularly remind parents and adolescents that social media has not been proved safe, Vivek Murthy, U.S. Surgeon General, via NBC. Evidence from tobacco labels shows that surgeon general’s warnings can increase awareness and change behavior, Vivek Murthy, U.S. Surgeon General, via NBC. Murthy reportedly went on to acknowledge that a warning alone has limitations and fails to make social media safe. In an op-ed published in 'The New York Times,' Murthy linked the amount of time spent using social media with an increased risk for children to develop anxiety and depression. In an op-ed published in 'The New York Times,' Murthy linked the amount of time spent using social media with an increased risk for children to develop anxiety and depression. According to the American Psychological Association, teens spend around five hours a day on popular platforms like Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. . In his 'NYT' op-ed, Murthy called on all social media platforms to "proactively enhance and contribute to the mental health and well-being of our children.". One 2019 study found that the number of teens with suicidal thoughts increased 47% between 2008 and 2017, a period which also saw social media use soar.

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:31Published
Jelly Roll Calls Duet With Eminem the ‘Coolest Moment’ of His Career to Date [Video]

Jelly Roll Calls Duet With Eminem the ‘Coolest Moment’ of His Career to Date

Jelly Roll Calls Duet With Eminem , the ‘Coolest Moment’ of His Career to Date. Jelly Roll performed a surprise duet with Eminem on NBC's 'Live From Detroit: The Concert at Michigan Central.'. Jelly Roll performed a surprise duet with Eminem on NBC's 'Live From Detroit: The Concert at Michigan Central.'. In an interview with 'Entertainment Tonight' on June 10, the singer shared how elated he was. When I think about coolest moments of my career, right now at the top, there has to be this thing that I got to go sing with Eminem in Detroit, Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. I got to sing ‘Sing for the Moment’ with him, which is a record where he sampled Steven Tyler. , Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. I mean, just what an incredible night and I got to go do it in Detroit. It was unreal. , Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. Jelly Roll went on to reveal that Eminem was the one who reached out to him to perform. . Em reached out, his team reached out and said, ‘Would you be interested in doing this since he was already there doing the secret tribute?', Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke until I met Eminem himself … As soon as I met Eminem, it was like the coolest moment ever, man, Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. I was giddy, like a child. You could see it all over my performance. Just the kid in me. , Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'. Jelly Roll is currently working on his new album, a follow-up to 2023's 'Whitsitt Chapel.'. I have been drowning in this album. I’ve never wrote more songs. I’ve never took it more serious and I’m probably gonna release more music this year than I’ve ever released in a year of my career. , Jelly Roll, to 'Entertainment Tonight'

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:31Published
FDA Reverses Ban on Juul E-Cigarettes [Video]

FDA Reverses Ban on Juul E-Cigarettes

FDA Reverses Ban , on Juul E-Cigarettes. On June 6, the Food and Drug Administration announced that it has reversed its ban on Juul e-cigarettes while the agency reviews new information. On June 6, the Food and Drug Administration announced that it has reversed its ban on Juul e-cigarettes while the agency reviews new information. NBC reports that the FDA first ordered Juul to take its product off the market in 2022, however the e-cigarettes have remained on shelves pending the company's appeal. NBC reports that the FDA first ordered Juul to take its product off the market in 2022, however the e-cigarettes have remained on shelves pending the company's appeal. In that time, Juul has maintained its position as the second-most popular e-cigarette in the U.S. The FDA noted that reversing the ban temporarily was not an indication that the company's product would be ultimately cleared. . The FDA noted that reversing the ban temporarily was not an indication that the company's product would be ultimately cleared. . Sales of alternative nicotine products, like e-cigarettes, have continued to grow in the past decade. . In 2023, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that e-cigarette use had grown by almost 50% between 2020 and 2022. . In 2023, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that e-cigarette use had grown by almost 50% between 2020 and 2022. . Juul released a statement following the FDA reversal, . ... saying the company looks forward to "re-engaging with the agency on a science- and evidence-based process to pursue a marketing authorization.". We remain confident in the quality and substance of our applications and believe that a full review of the science and evidence will demonstrate that our products meet the statutory standard of being appropriate for the protection of public health, Juul statement, via NBC. We remain confident in the quality and substance of our applications and believe that a full review of the science and evidence will demonstrate that our products meet the statutory standard of being appropriate for the protection of public health, Juul statement, via NBC. 'The Wall Street Journal' reports that Juul has argued that the 2022 ban significantly disrupted the company's finances, resulting in an investor bailout. Currently, the FDA has only granted approval for 23 e-cigarette products, manufactured by only three companies, to be marketed and sold to consumers

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:31Published
Advocates Warn Extreme Heat Could Drive Home Cooling Costs to Decade High [Video]

Advocates Warn Extreme Heat Could Drive Home Cooling Costs to Decade High

Advocates Warn Extreme Heat , Could Drive Home Cooling , Costs to Decade High. NBC reports that the average cost of keeping a home in the United States cool from June to September is set to hit $719 in 2024, according to new projections. Advocates for low-income households found that those annual costs for cooling a home in the summer are about 8% higher than in 2023. Back in 2021, the average cost to cool a home was down at an average of $573 annually. According to organizations that distribute federal financial support, an estimated one million fewer families will be able to receive assistance paying their energy bills. . This loss of assistance comes partly as the result of government funding for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) dropping to $4.1 billion, down from $6.1 billion in 2023. It’s inflation in the sense that you have to spend more to cool your house, but you’re using more of it, Mark Wolfe, Executive director of the National Energy Assistance Directors Association (NEADA), via NBC. So you can’t blame the price. This is more the price of climate change, Mark Wolfe, Executive director of the National Energy Assistance Directors Association (NEADA), via NBC. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has warned that 2024 is expected to rank among the top five hottest years on record. . According to the National Energy Assistance Directors Association (NEADA) report, many households face the risk of debt or potential utility shut-offs for nonpayment. These estimates could, in fact, understate the final costs of home cooling this summer if temperatures continue to reach record levels, National Energy Assistance Directors Association (NEADA) report, via NBC

Credit: Wibbitz Top Stories    Duration: 01:31Published

COVID-19 COVID-19 Contagious disease caused by SARS-CoV-2

Grenfell, COVID and Infected Blood families 'have no faith' inquiry recommendations will be properly carried out

A 'silent walk' will take place in West London today to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the Grenfell Tower disaster that claimed 72 lives.
Sky News
Rahul Gandhi's Hilarious Jibe At PM Modi Over 'I Am Not Born Biologically' Remark [Video]

Rahul Gandhi's Hilarious Jibe At PM Modi Over 'I Am Not Born Biologically' Remark

In a scathing attack, Rahul Gandhi criticised Prime Minister Modi for his recent statement claiming, "I am not biological; God has sent me." Gandhi slammed Modi, questioning the nature of a leader who, amidst the COVID crisis, made such remarks while people suffered. The statement underscores the ongoing political tension between the two leaders. #RahulGandhi #RahulvsModi #LSPolls2024 #RahulGandhiMocksPMModi #Elections2024 #AAP #INDIA #BJP #PMModi #COVIDJibe #ModiClaims #DivineOrigin #NotBiological #GodSentMe #IndiaPolitics #COVIDResponse #ModiCriticism #RahulVsModi #PoliticalControversy #COVIDIndia #LeadershipDebate #IndianDemocracy ~PR.152~ED.102~HT.318~GR.121~

Credit: Oneindia    Duration: 03:09Published
How the EU is plotting a course out of COVID debt to greener future [Video]

How the EU is plotting a course out of COVID debt to greener future

The next EU Commission will have to cope with a legacy of debt accummulated out of necessity by its predecessor in response to the Covid crisis and the Ukraine War. Instruments are in place to both control debt and invest in the future, but challenging times lie ahead.

Credit: euronews (in English)    Duration: 00:56Published
From crisis to cooperation: how the EU handled the troubled 2019-2024 era [Video]

From crisis to cooperation: how the EU handled the troubled 2019-2024 era

The current EU Parliament and Commission had just begun the work of their five-year agenda when it was derailed by Covid-19 and then the Ukraine war. As the institutions' mandate enters a final phase, Real Economy gets the views of key players in Brussels on one of the EU's most difficult chapters.

Credit: euronews (in English)    Duration: 08:00Published
O'Neill apologises for attending funeral during Covid [Video]

O'Neill apologises for attending funeral during Covid

Northern Ireland First Minister Michelle O'Neill has apologised for the hurt that was caused by her attendance at the funeral of republican Bobby Storey during the Covid-19 pandemic. "I know that my actions also angered the families and for that I'm truly sorry,” she told the Covid-19 Inquiry. Report by Jonesia. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn

Credit: ODN    Duration: 00:55Published