North Korea has decided to suspend military action plans against South Korea, the official KCNA news agency reported on Wednesday, as a report suggested North Korean troops were taking down loudspeakers recently reinstalled at the fortified border.
North Korea has suspended military action plans against South Korea announced state media, KCNA, on Wednesday(June 24).
The day before, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un made an appearance presiding over a video conference meeting and "took stock of the prevailing situation" before deciding to suspend military plans, the report released on Wednesday said, without elaborating.
It suggested that North Korean troops were taking down loudspeakers that were seen in videos only this week being reinstalled at the fortified border.
In the past, the speakers would blare propaganda, but many were taken down when the two Koreas signed a 2018 peace accord.
It comes after North Korea blew up a liason office on its side of the border last week and a rollercoaster of tensions between the North and South with Pyongyang objecting to defectors in the South, sending propaganda leaflets and food into the North.
They said the campaign insults the dignity of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and breaches their 2018 peace agreement.
North Korea's military was seen removing about 10 speakers on Wednesday near the demilitarized zone.
Days after around 20 were reinstalled, reported South Korea's local media.
South Korea's Unification ministry's spokesman Yoh Sang-Key, says they are monitoring the situation closely.
"The government's original stance that inter-Korean agreements must be kept remains unchanged." He also added that activities that may cause tensions between the two Koreans such as releasing anti-North Korean leaflets, would be "sternly dealth with."
According to a confidential UN report, North Korea is pressing on with its nuclear weapons program and several countries believe it has "probably developed miniaturized nuclear devices to fit into the warheads of its ballistic missiles." Gloria Tso reports.
The first publicly reported suspected case of Covid-19 within North Korea's borders has been reported. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called an emergency meeting Saturday after the infection was reported. According to CNN, Kim believes a defector who fled the country 3 years ago returned to the country while infected with coronavirus. Authorities in South Korea confirmed that a defector did in fact cross the border into North Korea.
North Korean residents on Monday (July 27) watched fireworks and laid flowers at statues of their late leaders to commemorate the 67th anniversary of the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, state media reported.
A border city in North Korea has been locked down after a person suspected to have the new coronavirus was reported to have returned from South Korea in what, if confirmed, would be the first case officially acknowledged by North Korean authorities. David Doyle reports.
North Korea has declared a state of emergency after Kim Jong-un chaired an emergency politburo meeting about a suspected case of Covid-19.
State media said the person defected to South Korea three years ago, before illegally crossing back into the North in the last few days.
After tests, the individual is “suspected to have been infected with the vicious virus.”
The North Korean leader has also imposed a lockdown on Kaesong City, on the border with South Korea.
If confirmed, this would be the first official case of infection acknowledged by North Korean authorities.
So far the country has reported zero cases of infection, claiming it has taken strict measures to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus. Report by Avagninag. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has placed a city near the border with SouthKorea under lockdown over concerns the country has its first coronavirus case,state media reported. The measure was taken on Friday afternoon after aresident of Kaesong was found with suspected Covid-19 symptoms, according toNorth Korea’s Central News Agency (KCNA). It added that the person is arunaway who had fled to South Korea years ago before illegally crossing theborder into the North early last week. If that person is officially declared avirus patient, he or she would be the North’s first confirmed coronavirus casewith the country steadfastly saying it has no single virus case on itsterritory, a claim questioned by outside experts.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:42Published
North Korea’s leader has sacked officials building a hospital after they pressed the public for contributions, media reported on Monday, the second rebuke linked to the high-profile project in a country where such problems are rarely publicized. Lauren Anthony reports
A bear was found trapped in a noose at a tree in Chhattisgarh's Korea district area on August 12. However it was later rescued by forest department. A local said, "I saw the Bear on yesterday in forest, I thought it was normally sitting on a tree, but later when I rechecked, the bear seemed stuck in a noose and then I called the forest department." "We are trying best to rescue it, however it is very scared right now"said forest official. According to the report the bear was later rescued.
Middle-class South Koreans are being squeezed out of Seoul, where affordable housing has run dry. That's despite multiple measures by President Moon Jae-in's government aimed at tamping down property prices. Gloria Tso reports.
North Korea has no intention to sit down with the United States and urged South Korea to "stop meddling," a senior diplomat said on Tuesday, just as a U.S. envoy was due to visit Seoul in an effort to renew stalled nuclear talks with Pyongyang. Ryan Brooks reports.