Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said it is “tragic and deeply concerning” that young people have been engaged in violence in Northern Ireland.In a statement, he told the Commons: “The violence witnessed last week is totally unacceptable.
Attacks on police officers are utterly reprehensible.
Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis says the government is "truly sorry" for the events in Ballymurphy, west Belfast in August 1971 in which 10 people were killed. Report by Jonesia. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
Speaking to the media at Stormont House in Belfast, Secretary of State Brandon Lewis welcomes the condemnation of violence from all the Stormont parties and expresses his confidence in the PSNI. Mr Lewis denied that the UK Government had abandoned unionists through the new Brexit arrangements - one of the concerns inflaming tensions among loyalists that have sparked a week of violence, which police said has been on a scale not seen in recent years.Mr Lewis arrived in Northern Ireland on Thursday following violent scenes at a Belfast interface on Wednesday evening, to speak to political and faith leaders.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:15Published
Brandon Lewis says he welcomes the statement from the five-party Northern Ireland Executive that “violence is not acceptable”, following a week of unrest in Belfast and Derry/Londonderry. Report by Jonesia. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn