The government has accepted Bihar government's request of CBI probe into actor Sushant Singh Rajput's death, Centre's senior second-most law officer Tushar Mehta stated it before the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Solicitor General Mehta made the submission during hearing of a plea by actor Rhea Chakraborty.
Rhea had sought transfer of the case registered in Patna to Mumbai.
The top court asked the parties involved to file their response in three days.
Kshitij Prasad, who was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau in connection with the drug probe in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case has made a big allegation. Reports suggest the producer told a court that he was forced by the NCB to implicate Karan Johar. Prasad told c Mumbai court that the NCB had harassed and blackmailed him into giving a statement and said he was subjected to third degree and ill treatment by the agency. The producer further alleged that NCB had picked up two of his friends who were also forced to make statement against him. He His lawyer also alleged that his statement was not recorded as per his narration and language. The producer has been remanded to custody till 3rd of October. Meanwhile, Karan Johar had earlier released a statement saying that he does not know Kshitij Prasad personally and he had been hired in Dharmatic Production on a contractual basis for a project which eventually did not materialize. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:18Published
Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone, Shraddha Kapoor and Sara Ali Khan were quizzed by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in drug case related to Sushant Singh’s death. Deepika was questioned for over five hours at NCB’s Colaba guest house while Shraddha and Sara were summoned at a separate office. The top Bollywood actresses were summoned by NCB earlier. Rakul Preet Singh recorded her statement with NCB on Friday. Watch the full video to know more.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:18Published
A special CBI court is set to pronounce the verdict in the criminal case related to the demolition of the Babri mosque on 30th September. BJP stalwarts LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Kalyan Singh and Uma Bharti are among the 32 accused in the case. Ram Temple Trust chairman Nritya Gopal Das and general secretary Champat Rai are also among the accused in the case. The verdict in the criminal case relating to the demolition comes months after PM Modi laid the foundation stone of the Ram temple in Ayodhya. This after a Supreme Court verdict in November 2019 had ordered that the disputed site in Ayodhya be given to the Hindu site for construction of a temple and had asked the government to provide an alternative site to the Muslim side for building a mosque. The Supreme Court had however called the demolition illegal. In April 2017, the top court had asked the special court to conduct day-to-day hearings and complete the trial within two years. The court was also given extensions and when the special judge sought more time the deadline had been extended to 30th September. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:47Published
Union Minister Ramdas Athawale, in support with Sushant Singh’s family, said the CBI should investigate the death of actor first. Athwale was speaking on the current NCB probe of big Bollywood actors in drug case related to Sushant’s death. Athawale said the NCB probe should continue but CBI should come to a conclusion soon. This comes after Sushant’s family had expressed similar views that the investigation into the actor’s death has taken a different direction. Watch the full video for more details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 05:37Published
After getting the notification from the Government of India, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday registered case against Rhea Chakraborty, Indrajit Chakraborty, Sandhya Chakraborty, Showik Chakraborty, Samuel Miranda, Shruti Modi, and others in connection with Sushant Singh Rajput's death case. The investigating agency booked 6 accused and others in sections including criminal conspiracy, abetment of suicide, wrongful restrain, wrongful confinement, theft, criminal breach of trust, cheating and criminal intimidation. CBI said it is also in touch with Bihar Police. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had sent a recommendation to the Central Government to investigate the case filed in Patna based on the complaint of Sushant's father KK Singh against Rhea Chakraborty under sections including abetment of suicide on July 25. In Supreme Court, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the central government, submitted before a single-judge bench of Justice Hrishikesh Roy that the Centre has accepted the Bihar government's request recommending a CBI inquiry into the Sushant Singh Rajput death case. The apex court was hearing a petition filed by Chakraborty seeking directions to transfer the case registered regarding the late actor's death in Bihar's Patna to Mumbai. Tiwari, who reached Mumbai for probe in Rajput case, has been quarantined by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officials till August 15.
In a new turn in Sushant Singh Rajput's death case, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta stated before Supreme Court that Centre has accepted Bihar govt's request of CBI enquiry. On August 04, Bihar CM Nitish Kumar had recommended CBI enquiry in Sushant Singh Rajput's death case. Supreme Court also heard Rhea Chakraborty's petition seeking direction for transfer of investigation from Patna to Mumbai. Supreme Court directed all parties to file their respective replies within three days. Further hearing in the matter will be held after a week. Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead at his Mumbai residence on June 14.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday condemned the quarantine order against IPS officer Vinay Tiwari. Nitish said the order was “not right” and Bihar DGP is talking to authorities in Mumbai. "Bihar DGP will speak with the authorities there. Whatever happened with him (Vinay Tiwari) is not right. It is not a political matter. Bihar Police is carrying out its duty," Kumar said. Tiwari is probing the case related to actor Sushant Singh Rajput's death. Bihar DGP said, "They (BMC) are saying that they are following the guidelines as he (Tiwari) did not get himself tested for coronavirus before coming to Mumbai." Explaining the 'forcibly quarantined' allegation, BMC on Monday said that Tiwari was quarantined as per the present guidelines for domestic arrivals at Mumbai Airport. A team of Bihar Police is in Mumbai to probe the matter on the basis of an FIR which was registered in Patna, based on a complaint filed by Rajput's father KK Singh against actor Rhea Chakraborty under several sections including abetment to suicide.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:00Published
A Bihar police team visiting Mumbai over the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput commented on the charges levelled against the late actor's girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Bihar police has gotten involved in the case after a complaint was filed by Sushant's father, KK Singh, against Rhea, accusing her of conspiring to seize the late actor's assets and putting him under mental stress. The probe team said that it's keeping a 'watch' on Rhea. They also visited the residence of film director Rumi Jaffery. Bihar police also denied that Mumbai police, which was the first to start probing the death, were trying to hinder their investigation. Meanwhile, Gupteshwar Pandey, Director General of Police, Bihar, rejected calls for handing over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation. He said that the police force was confident of investigating the case, but if Sushant's family wanted, it could seek a CBI probe. Sushant was found dead at his Mumbai residence on June 14. Although the cause is considered suicide, Mumbai police is probing the incident and has recorded the statements over around 40 people, including Rhea and other Bollywood personalities like film-maker Mahesh Bhatta and Dharma Productions CEO Apoorva Mehta.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 03:15Published
Former Bihar DGP Gupteshwar Pandey has hinted at taking the political plunge ahead of the assembly elections in Bihar later in the year. The top cop has been in the news recently for his ‘aukaat’ jibe at Rhea Chakraborty in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case. Pandey had also taken on the Mumbai Police and questioned it over its handling of the actor’s death probe. Pandey said that he will discuss with people and take a final call on whether or not to take the political plunge. He said that people from Buxar, Begusarai, Sitamarhi and several other places have told him to contest from their constituency if he takes the political plunge. He said that he worked in different positions in most of these places and hence people have been flocking to him to contest as their representative. Gupteshwar Pandey had earlier taken premature retirement to contest Lok Sabha elections in 2009 and was said to be eyeing the Buxar seat. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:28Published
Compounding alliance troubles for the Bharatiya Janata Party, a leader of the Lok Janshakti Party said that Chirag Paswan is the outfit's Chief Ministerial face for Bihar. The comment was made weeks before the state goes to polls. LJP is a constituent of the National Democratic Alliance which is currently in power in the state. The other members are BJP and the Janata Dal (United), and they have already declared that incumbent CM Nitish Kumar will continue to lead the alliance in the state. The NDA is yet to conclude seat-sharing talks, as well. Bihar will vote in 3 phases to choose MLAs to the 243-seat Assembly. Voting will be held on October 28, November 3 and 7 in the shadow of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Results of the elections will be announced by the Election Commission on November 10, 2020.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 02:27Published
Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora along with other officials arrived at Patna Airport on September 29. He is on a visit to the state to overview the preparation for the upcoming Bihar Assembly elections. Bihar Polls will be conducted in 3 phases starting from October 28.
Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on September 29 accused BJP of defaming Maharashtra and Mumbai Police for their political vendetta ahead of Bihar elections. He further accused the party for misusing Bihar ex-DGP Gupteshwar Pandey for political gains. Deshmukh said, "AIIMS stated that there's no trace of poison in Sushant Rajput's body as per viscera report. A national political party tried to defame Maharashtra and Mumbai Police for political gains ahead of Bihar polls. Bihar ex-DGP Gupteshwar Pandey was also used for political gains."