Shots fired by North Korea across its border with South Korea were likely “accidental,” U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday as speculation continues to swirl about the health of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that shots fired by North Korea across its border with South Korea on Saturday (May 2) were likely "accidental".
North and South Korea exchanged gunfire around a rural guard post, raising tensions on the peninsula just a day after North Korean state media showed Kim visiting a factory, the first report of him making a public appearance since mid-April.
South Korea responded to shots fired from across the DMZ but no casualties were reported.
Speaking on ABC This Week, Pompeo declined to comment on Kim's health, following rumors that he was gravely ill.
A South Korean government official also said on Sunday (May 3) that Kim did not undergo surgery in his three week absence.
There had been reports that the North Korean leader had undergone serious cardiovascular surgery.
North Korea has no intention to sit down with the United States and urged South Korea to "stop meddling," a senior diplomat said on Tuesday, just as a U.S. envoy was due to visit Seoul in an effort to renew stalled nuclear talks with Pyongyang. Ryan Brooks reports.
The UK's first sanctions for human rights abuse will cover those involved in the deaths of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky and the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the systematic killings of the Rohingyas in Burma and the North Korean gulags. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the measures being brought in by the Government today will "hold to account the perpetrators of the worst human rights abuses".
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:18Published
North Korea has decided to suspend military action plans against South Korea, the official KCNA news agency reported on Wednesday, as a report suggested North Korean troops were taking down loudspeakers recently reinstalled at the fortified border. Libby Hogan reports.
Business Insider reports North Korea is readying to do a massive litter dump into South Korea. North Korea announced Tuesday it was preparing 3,000 balloons stuffed with more than 12 million propaganda leaflets, as well as cigarette butts and other trash. State media says it's a retaliatory gesture for South Korea failing to stop defectors from dropping anti-Kim Jong Un leaflets into North Korea. Relations between the two are deteriorating even beyond their usual uneasy standoff.
Speaking on India-China border tensions, US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo said, "I have spoken with Foreign Minister S Jaishankar a number of times about this. Chinese took incredibly aggressive actions and Indians have done their best to respond to that. There aren't many neighbours that can satisfactorily say that they know where their sovereignty ends and the Chinese Communist Party will respect that. That is certainly true now for people of Bhutan. The world must come together to respond to this. This increasing revisionist effort that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is engaged in is something that President Trump has taken incredibly seriously." He further said, "World has seen true colours of Chinese Communist Party and I am convinced more than ever that free people of the world will come to understand the threat. The impact General Secy Xi Jinping has on the world is not good for free and democracy loving people."
On Tuesday, President Trump gave an interview in which he said he was considering banning TikTok. Trump echoed earlier comments from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Trump implied a ban on TikTok would be a way of punishing China for the coronavirus. Business Insider reports that Coronavirus originated in the city of Wuhan. Trump's rationale was somewhat different from the reason given by Pompeo. Pompeo said the US was worried TikTok could be a national-security risk.
One of South Korea's most prominent elected officials, Park Won-soon, the longtime mayor of its capital, was found dead police, said on Friday, after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe of an alleged impropriety. Freddie Joyner has more.
The mayor of Seoul, South Korea has been reported missing. According to CNN, local police have launched a massive search for 64- year-old Park Won-soon. Park was reported missing by his daughter on Thursday, at around 5 p.m. local time. Park was elected mayor of Seoul in 2011 after his predecessor stepped down. Park was re-elected in 2014 and again in 2018.